Many homeowners regularly avoid various DIY jobs, as they are often so busy juggling daily household chores, work responsibilities or family commitments. However, there are some household problems you should never ignore.
- An Infestation
No homeowner likes the thought of pesky critters or insects invading their home. The annoying creatures can leave droppings, which can be hazardous to your health and can damage your property, chew your furniture and nest in your pipes, vents and ducts. If you are suffering from a pest infestation, we recommend calling a professional, such as Natura Pest Control.
Wet spots are common in bathrooms and kitchens, but it is important to resolve an issue if mold spores suddenly appear on your living room or bedroom walls. Not only is mold unsightly, but it can also damage your respiratory health. An inspector can provide a thorough evaluation of your property and can identify if you can clean the mold yourself or if you must hire remediation services.
- A Gurgling or Foul-Smelling Drain
Do you have an unpleasant odour coming from your kitchen or bathroom sink? Don’t allow the problem to grow out of control. For example, a gurgling drain could be caused by a blockage, which can be resolved using a plunger. While a foul-smelling sink that is not in use might have been caused by water that has dried out in the U-shaped pipe, which can release methane gas into the home. We, therefore, recommend pouring a quart of water down the drain, before airing out the room. Another effective tactic is to add a teaspoon of oil into the drain, as it can prevent the evaporation of water. If the problem fails to disappear on its own, we recommend calling a plumber to inspect the drain, as the smell or gurgling could be caused by a nesting animal or debris.
- A Leaky Faucet
Many people often disregard a leaky faucet, but it can cost you a considerable amount of money in utility bills each year. You can attempt to fix a leaking faucet yourself, by looking under your sink to identify if anything is leaking. Alternatively, call a plumber to resolve the problem quickly.
Do you live in a property that is more than 50 years old? Do you have a steam heat or radiator in your basement? You could have asbestos pipe insulation on your property. It will look similar to a plaster cast that has been wrapped around your pipes. However, we strongly advise you not to touch the insulation, as it can pose a serious risk to your health. Unfortunately, the inhaled asbestos fibers can cause asbestosis, which is a chronic respiratory disease that is non-cancerous. Never remove the materials yourself and instead contact a licensed asbestos abatement contractor for immediate inspection and, if necessary, a removal.
Have you experienced any of the above household problems? Share your stories or tips by writing a comment below.